Thursday, February 21, 2008

Total Eclipse of the Moon

After watching the eclipse last night, I awoke this morning feeling, inspired, in love, and so grateful for my life. It is one of those days that seems sunnier than most. Maybe it was the company, my good friend Claudia was visiting from Central America. Maybe it was the fine Chilean wine that she brought, or the great dinner that we all shared, or the long walk outside on a crisp cold night. Maybe it was the conversation as we sat on the porch watching the night sky, remembering old times and looking forward to new adventures. Whatever it was, it was lovely. 
I felt inspired to go for a long walk this morning to enjoy the sunshine, however fleeting it may be. Today is thursday, which is garbage day in my neighbourhood. As I walked through the streets I noticed a lot of people have 8-10 bags of garbage. 8-10 bags of garbage from one household in one week?? That is disgusting and these people should be ashamed of themselves.
It got me thinking, what if we were forced to deal with all of our garbage? What if it didn't just go "away" every week? What if all the mountains of crap that we create had to be stored in our backyards, or worse, in our homes? I'm sure it would make a lot of people rethink their waste. Imagine the smell of rotting food scraps and the mountain of cardboard from useless plastic toys...(that is a whole other topic!)
A few years ago there was talk about a limit on the amount of garbage that one household generates, and a fine for those who exceed the limit. Other forward-thinking Canadian cities have this, but Calgary, it seems, is more of a backward-thinking city. 
On one of our many classic rock stations, there was a phone in where people could say what they thought of this garbage limit, and I thought others would like the idea as much as me. To my horror, most people couldn't even fathom the idea of limiting their garbage. I felt sick to realize that most people don't even give it a second thought, and think that we have unlimited space for all of the useless junk that clutters up our homes, and our minds.

No comments: