Monday, February 4, 2008

small changes

This year, I am committed to making one earth friendly change per week in my house and my life. Here is a short list of what I have accomplished so far this year.
  1. Reduce the garbage that we generate each week. We have a recycling pick up each week and the biggest part of that is plastics. Yogurt containers, plastic bags- everything comes in a plastic wrap of some sort. I am going to reduce our amount of recycling too. 
  2. Composting. We just starting composting and there is a lot of organic matter that leaves my kitchen each day. Compost is a beautiful thing!
  3. Reusable menstrual pads. hmmm. Not loving this change too much. I suppose that if you like the feeling of walking around with a submarine sandwich between your legs then you might like this idea. That being said, I am committed to this. (that is reason enough to get pregnant again!!)
  4. 100% recycled toilet paper. We have made the switch, much to the disappointment of Mike's sensitive bum.
  5. No more Kleenex. If you need to blow your nose in my house then you can use my (oh so soft) toilet paper. I often use old bandanas or some of the cotton hankies that my grandma gave me. I would like to note that if I get a head cold, then I WILL be buying some kleenex.
That about sums up the changes for the first five weeks of 2008. As this is a new week, my new change is to eliminate coffee. HA! Day one has not been fun. Maybe I should wait until December to implement this ? 

Here is my recipe for warm chickpea salad:
You need:
1 bulb roasted garlic
1/2 red pepper diced
1/2 yellow pepper diced
2-3 cups chopped spinach
1/4 cup feta cheese
3/4 cup chicken (or veggie) stock
1/2 onion finely chopped
1 can chickpeas
olive oil 
1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
Roast garlic. Wrap it in foil, drizzle with 1/2 tsp olive oil and roast in toaster oven at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
Saute onions in 1 tbsp olive oil, add drained chickpeas, chicken stock, roasted garlic, and salt and pepper. Saute on med. for about 15 minutes until stock is absorbed.
While the peas are cooking, chop the spinach and peppers and crumble the feta. Place into a bowl. When peas are done pour them over the spinach and toss. Squeeze juice of lemon over top and top with more feta.

No comments: