Monday, February 11, 2008

Giving up on giving up

It's true. My days are not so great without my morning cup of coffee. The world sucks actually, and all I do is eat cookies, so I have revised my pledge. No more starbucks. No more coffee in disposable cups. Only shade grown organic beans for me, thank you very much. I feel better all ready.
On to my next change for the year, and I really can't believe that it's taken me this long. 
Reusable baby bum wipes. It's so simple, and so great. I made them last week and they are WAY better than the ones I have been using up to this point. We have always used cloth diapers and reusable wipes are just so smart! I have always made my own because the thought of paying for something to wipe Elias's bum with seemed crazy, and those packaged ones are expensive. I was making them out of a roll of paper towels, cut in half.
Now I am making them out of old flannel blankets. 
It's easy. Cut blanket into squares the size of a tissue or so. If you have a baby you most likely have a 100 or so receiving blankets, so use them up. 
You will need: Dr Bronner's baby soap, water, lavender or tea tree essential oil, your blankets, and a container to hold them in. I use an old tupperware that is rectangular and thin so it easily fits into the diaper bag.
Measure out 1 cup water, 1 tsp soap, and 10 drops essential oil. Lay your cut up wipes into the container and pour soap and water over. Put the lid on. Voila. Wash with your diapers or rinse after using and wash with towels. Simple.
I can't tell you the joy this simple thing brings me. Maybe that's just the coffee talking.



No comments: