Wednesday, April 9, 2008

things keep changing...

The war on flyers has been won! I'm not sure what was the final key, but there have been no flyers on my door step for about a week. My neighbours do think I am nuts for having that huge NO FLYERS sign, but it has all been worth it. Ah, victory. It feels good.
This week I am cutting down my showering time to 5 minutes or less. It sounds easy, but I am a person who can easily spend 30 minutes in the shower. I can spend an hour or more in the bathtub, it's like therapy for me. I love the water. If Mike and Elias go out I run upstairs and jump in the tub. 
I've been practicing my 5 minute showers all week. If I don't wash my hair it's easy peasy. If I do wash my hair it takes a little longer because I cannot get the tangles out of my head these days. You see, I'm cutting down on packaging, so I have been using Lush conditioner that comes in a solid bar. It's called Jungle, and it does turn my hair into a jungle. A wild, tangly, jungly mess that small rodents could live in. LOVE this. 
The reason I am doing this is because I want to reduce my water consumption. I have many more great ideas for this as well. Like using a rainbarrel to collect water to water my organic vegetable garden (which is not in the ground yet, but it is in my mind!) and collecting water from my (less than 5 minute) shower to water my houseplants. I am also planning a rock garden/native plant haven in my front yard so I don't have to waste water keeping my lawn green. I have signed up for some classes at Mt Royal college, one of them is about organic vegetable gardening, one about native plants and flowers, and one about low maintenance landscaping. 
I can't wait for warmer weather.

No comments: