Monday, April 21, 2008

plumb dumb

We had a plumbing problem the other day and I was truly panicking. I was thinking to myself, What do I do? I have to call a plumber!
Our bathtub was plugged. I screwed off the drain and pulled out a handful of hair, because that is the only way that I know how to unclog a drain. It didn't work. So then I dropped some baking soda down, followed by some vinegar. It bubbled up really nice but it actually made it worse. Then I called Mike in and told him, "I think we need to call a plumber." He didn't even respond to that suggestion. Did I mention that Mike likes to fix everything himself?
Anyway, he got out the toilet plunger and tried to plunge while standing on the sides of the tub. That didn't work so well and he fell into the half full bathtub. While standing in ankle deep water he plunged the bottom drain. Nothing happened. He removed the cover from the top drain, plugged the bottom drain with his foot, and plunged the top drain. It worked! And as a bonus it was fun to watch my handy (and flexible) husband work. I was so excited, and so happy that I married such a handy guy. So there you have it, unclogging your bathtub for dummies.
Our big change this week is a jacket for our hot water heater. Apparently it prevents the loss of heat from your water heater, so you use less energy.  They are available at home depot for $30. What would be really great is a system that heats up your water as you need it. It seems wasteful to heat up a whole tank. 


No comments: