Monday, March 24, 2008

the business of yoga

I must admit I have a small problem with buying yoga clothes. I have drawers full of them, and I hate to say it but most of them are of the lycra variety. In my own defense, I worked at lululemon for 4 years, and that is where it all began. Before lulu, I practiced yoga in plain old cotton pants and t-shirts, but who can resist the 60% staff discount?
Which brings me to the change of the week- no more lycra yoga clothes. Lycra is basically a plastic, which is a petroleum product, which takes hundreds of years to break down in a landfill not to mention the environmental cost of producing the stuff. So, I have sworn off lycra and will now only buy organic cotton, hemp, soy, or bamboo clothes. This should be easy considering that everyone now sells organic cotton, yay for eco-chic, eco-hip! In fact, just this afternoon I bought myself an organic cotton t-shirt from superstore. I feel pretty cool sitting here in my pesticide free t-shirt.

No comments: