Wednesday, May 28, 2008

grrrrrr

I just came home from an incredibly unsuccessful bra shopping trip. I have been waiting weeks to be able to shop for a bra when Elias wasn't with me, and the opportunity arose today so I jumped at it. 
I picked 10 different styles, in many colours and sizes to ensure that something would fit. It soon became apparent that I was in the wrong store. First of all, why are 90% of bras padded? I saw a commercial the other day for a new bra, and its main selling feature was that on top of the already padded bra they added another special padded nipple part for "modesty". Since when did nipples become immodest? Why are we so obsessed with ensuring that no one knows that we have nipples under our t-shirts? Do men wear special nipple protectors so we can't see them under their clothes? I didn't think so.
After trying on all 10 of them, not only was I thoroughly disgusted but I was also incredibly frustrated. Who is designing these bras? I wanted to tell the saleswoman that the reason I wasn't buying any of these ill fitting bras was mainly because I like my nipples! Why should I wear an extra layer of padding? Why do women want to look like barbie, who by the way has no nipples!!!
Another problem with these bras is that most of them have a metal wire in them, and to me that just doesn't seem right, why put metal right next to your breasts? And who wants to wear a bra that has such a small cup that your breasts spill right out the top? Not only that, but they are squished together and lifted so high that you could rest your coffee cup on them. My breasts aren't cup holders!
To me this illustrates how screwed up our ideas of reality and beauty have become. Mainstream society is on a downward spiral, I think I'll just wear my old bra until it falls off me.

No comments: