Monday, July 28, 2008

Folk you!

We spent the weekend at the Calgary Folk Fest. Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday all day and night and Sunday all day and night. Phew, that's a lot of folkies. To be honest, the music wasn't as good as past years, but I love the people. Everyone is just so darn nice, it's refreshing. Living in a city of over a million people can get a little exhausting, and generally people aren't that friendly. They are in too much of a hurry to be courteous. So being surrounded by 30,000 of the nicest people you ever did meet was just lovely. Elias had a great time entertaining the people around us. At one point we were navigating the chariot through a throng of people and he was yelling "beep beep!" Where he comes up with this stuff I don't know, but it sure is funny.
About the music. The highlights for me were the Be Good Tanya's, even though we were navigating the crowds trying to get the main stage during one of my favorite songs and their set was too short, it was fabulous. 
Ani DiFranco was amazing. I remembered why I have loved her for so many years. She is a little fireball and she can rock! Her music has changed so much and I love each new album she puts out. She sang a few new songs and I was amazed at how calm and happy they were. Not angry at all, in fact one of them was called "I'm not angry anymore" and she's not. She's bubbling contentment. Having babies does that to you.
While we were out having a folkin' good time, something evil was lurking in the vegetable crsiper in my fridge. A forgotten cucumber was slowly rotting and spreading its evil mold spores throughout the drawer, ruining everything in its path. I just emptied it out and I didn't even compost it! Horrors! I threw it in the trash, where it will never break down. I couldn't stomach the thought of chopping all of that moldy produce into small chunks. Oh the guilt!
Speaking of stomachs, mine is undergoing some changes these days. This is why I never blog, feel sick at the thought of moldy broccoli, and want to eat sausages all day. What's up with that? My belly is going to grow to about the size of a beach ball, until about March, and then at the end I get a baby! Talk about saving the best for last.

No comments: