Thursday, June 12, 2008

I haven't posted much lately because I guess I just don't have that much to say. Life just keeps moving along and here I am and it's already thursday. Where does the time go?
My subject today is toys. They have an uncanny ability to reproduce at an alarming rate. How did my house start to look like a daycare? Everyday there is more and most of them are of the plastic variety which I despise. Plastic toys break, and then they end up in a landfill where they sit for a thousand years. Or worse, they end up in the ocean. Whenever a new toy comes into my house I imagine its life span and I inevitably start feeling guilty.
I bought Elias a plastic toy on tuesday. We were in a toy store buying a book for his cousins 2nd birthday, and he discovered a fire truck that has screws in it and a little screwdriver so you can take it all apart. This is what he likes to do. Unscrew things. It is a well made plastic toy, but it is still plastic. I have pledged to myself, no more plastic toys. His 2nd birthday is fast approaching and I must put a stop to this plastic madness.
I have been trying to think of ways that we can play that doesn't require plastic toys. I got a fantastic idea from my sister in law the other day, Play dough! Play dough has provided hours of fun this week, for the cost of some food coloring and cream of tartar. 
Here is the recipe:
1 c. flour
1/4 c. salt
2 tbsp. cream of tartar
1 c. water
2 tsp. food colouring (or beet root powder, turmeric whatever else will work.)
1 tbsp. oil.
Mix flour, salt, and cream of tartar in a medium sized saucepan. In a separate bowl mix water, oil, and food coloring. Mix wet into dry and stir over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until it forms a ball in the centre of the pan. Take it out and knead it on a lightly floured counter for a minute. Tada!
I tried the uncooked variety, and the cooked stuff has a much better consistency.
My next plan is painting. Elias loves to paint suns on the bathroom mirror with his dad's shaving brush and some water. I'm on the look out for non-toxic paints.

No comments: